Thursday, July 22, 2010

Ipods and laptops and cells, oh my!

The Social Media Revolution is here. What is the best way to communicate at college? with your family? at work?

I prefer face to face interaction most of the time. I know I get the message; if I have questions I can ask and have immediate clarification and I can be sure that my reply is received.

I get frustrated with conference calls because it is hard to know who is talking without the visual cues. I don't like Skype because I have to make sure I look okay before I make a call...or answer. I can't always hear on my cell phone, and when I press speaker phone, everyone around me is a part of my conversation - whether they want to be or not. My cellphone dies, and when I finally charge it I don't check my voicemails. I don't check my facebook or email often enough to be in the loop either. In this instant information age, I fail terribly at being instant with MY information.

Music. Don't get me started on music... No. I don't use 8 track tapes, cassette tapes, vinyl or CDs. I do like to listen to the radio via my laptop or the car stereo. It seems like a good idea to carry my MP3 to work out, but I never seem to have it with me. Same with kindle. I've downloaded kindle books to my laptop, but have never read them. Even though I love the idea of these gadgets, it may be the lack of time that gets in the way. I'd prefer to chat at Brewed Awakenings or the Speaking Center instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment