Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Welcome Back to Coe!

      Hello interested readers! My name is Clark Cunningham-White and I am a first year student at Coe College. I'm from Holland, Michigan (go Dutchman!), a Cedar Rapids newcomer (go Kohawks!), and a probable English major (go Faulkner!). This year, I'm excited to blog mainly about new apps that help students learn more in and out of the classroom. Ranging from note taking applications to movie making technology, I'll look at programs designed to improve learning. This week, I will test out and review Dragon Dictation and report my findings later in the week. It's a note taking app that is available on IPad.
     As a political junkie, I enjoy watching speeches by candidates. Since this is a blog for the Speaking Center, I will also look at the public speaking methods and rhetorical strategies used by politicians. In a non-biased way, I'll examine the "classic" speeches of the past such as Ronald Reagan's Berlin Wall Speech or Barack Obama's 2004 Democratic Convention address. Perhaps we could bring in political science or history experts to blog about the impact of memorable speeches!
     P.S. This upcoming Monday (September 24th), the Speaking Center is offering a training session from the IHSSA to judge speech events at local high schools! This is a great opportunity for anyone who enjoyed high school speech team or for those who love waking up early on the weekends. This free session runs from 6:00 to 7:30 p.m. and judging certification lasts for three years. Stop by the Struve Communication Center in the Eby Learning Anex!

No comments:

Post a Comment